I recently had to take a defensive driving class online. One of the things they do to make sure you’re not skimming the material is to place random sentences in the text, and then quiz you on them later. Below is a list of those random bits of information that I was able to learn about, in addition to understanding how to be a better driver!
- A frog is a mechanical switching device on a railroad track.
- Bob Denver was a teacher before Gilligan’s Island.
- A car operates at maximum economy at speeds between 25 and 35 miles per hour.
- Half an ounce of gasoline is used to start the average automobile
- Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com was originally going to name his web venture Cadabra.
- The last twelve cylinder car produced in the United States was the 1948 Lincoln Continental.
- The student who designed the Nike swoosh logo was paid $35.00
- Honey is used as a center for golf balls and in antifreeze mixtures.
- Thermometers were once filled with brandy instead of mercury.
- The highest selling domain name is business.com for $7.5 million.
- White light is a mixture of every other color in the spectrum.
- The Concorde jet guzzles 300 gallons of fuel per hour while idling.
- The wing flaps of a Boeing 767 come from Italy.
- The household refrigerator was patented in 1899.
- Cross-dressing Corporal Max Klinger on the sitcom M*A*S*H wore size 10 pumps.
- Gray lenses in sunglasses best protect the eyes against the Sun’s rays.
- At age 14, Bill Gates formed a company that sold traffic counting systems.
I actually missed one question pertaining to these tidbits. They gave a list of colors, and which was not part of white. I believe the answer to be Black. Just as White is the reflection of all the colors combined, Black is the absorption of all the colors in the spectrum. But, I still managed to pass that lesson!